Monday, October 4, 2010

Different Kinds of Kids

Kids I find easy to like: honest, hard-working, empathetic to others' feelings, accepting of others' differences, respectful to people and things, expressive, shy, and especially those who share their Halloween candy. I like most children, even those that seem difficult or irritating at times.

Kids I find it hard to like: kids who treat other kids with cruelty, kids who think they are better than other people (for any reason), kids who are disrespectful to other people and things, kids who think a person's worth is based on their looks, money, etc. "Queen Bees" and other kids who find pleasure out of other kids' pain.

Kids I feel sorry for: kids who are abused, kids who don't feel like they have any friends, kids who are tormented by others for any reason, kids who are taught racism, bigotry, and intolerance by their family and friends and think it is ok.

Kids I feel threatened by: kids who have been hurt enough in their life that they want to make other people hurt.

Kids you identify with: kids who like sports, kids who like music, kids who like roller coasters and cotton candy, kids who want to be accepted, kids that want to have friends, kids that want to make their parents happy, kids who struggle with self esteem, kids that are sensitive and end up getting hurt a lot.

Kids I gravitate toward: kids that need extra help on understanding something in class, kids that like to talk to me, kids who are genuine.

Kids you feel inadequate around: I mostly feel inadequate around my own kids - I have more self-doubt about my abilities as a mother than in any other area of my life. Not all the time, but enough to make me feel inadequate at times.

Kids you probably don't even notice: I cannot place a kind of kid that I would not even notice. That concept seems utterly foreign to me.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate your comments about bullies. My kids have experienced bullies and it is so frustrating to see them have power of others. As a teacher, it is easy just to respond angrily as opposed to educationally. How can we help them understand their effect on other students in a way that moves them to change their ways? There are some good bullying programs out there for schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It breaks my heart that there are so many kids out there that have been hurt! How are we as teachers going to help them? What can we do to help them heal? My kids have also experienced bullying and it's difficult to explain to them that these kids are just trying to make themselves feel better and are taking it out on them. We talk a lot about what they can do to remedy the situation. I wonder if the bullyinh programs deal with both sides of the situation. I am with you on the concept of not noticing a kid...I see them all too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your comment on "kids who are taught racism, bigotry, and intolerance by their family and friends and think it is ok." I know I personally am out in a community where the average family's values do not align with my own and are far less "liberal," and it is hard to see students speak or act out of intolerance, but inculcated by their home life. The struggle is then to help a kid see why their actions or attitudes are hurtful and not all right while trying not to step on parents' toes...how can that be accomplished? What routes can we take to avoid that kind of power struggle?

    ReplyDelete